Commentary - History - Photos- Politics - Religion - Travel Logs

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Trip Back To America

I am now officially back in the United States. My trip back was somewhat eventful although I heard nothing about the blasts the night of my departure. On my flight to London I sat next to two ethnically Iraqi university students who had just attended a wedding in Beirut. They were great to talk to, and quite amusing. They told me stories about crazed Islamists in "Londonistan" and about their relatives who ran from Iraq to live in Syria. We talked a bit about Israel, while not being fans of the Israelis, they did seem to feel that the anti-Semitism perpetrated by al Manar was completely over the top.

London was incredibly over priced (thank you high pound to dollar rates!), I payed $6 for a beer. Numerous police officials passed me carrying submachine guns, London was on an anti-terror footing. I ran into an American couple, around the age of 75 who had just trekked for the first time around Europe. I told them I was just in Beirut for 7 weeks and they looked astonished, the man laughed, "I was in Korea, You've got a lot of balls to be in Beirut," "Not really," I said. "I just went to Beirut because its warmer than the Chosin Reservoir", I said jokingly. I told them about the "Paris of the Middle East," they smiled and said they wished more Americans would go experience these countries and learn Arabic, they appreciated my attempt to do so because, as the woman said, "you know what an idiot Bush is."

A made a short joke of a movie for friends. I am sure there are those of you who have seen the classic Chuck Norris/Lee Marvin film, "Delta Force." There is a scene in the film where Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin take control of the hijacked plane, and THEN ...Bam...The cheesy techno music starts (and yes...the music I used IS the theme song from Delta Force, only you can hear my fellow passengers talking as well)...SO I figured I would do a little take off of that, enjoy:





© All Rights Reserved; www.ArzelJabal.blogspot.com

No comments: